Wheaton fires up
Pint-sized anglers reel in big catches
August 24, 2016
This Saturday, August 27, marks the 58th annual Wheaton BBQ. The festivities will begin at 11 a.m. with the Wheaton Street Machines car show and conclude with the duck race, which begins at 8 p.m.
Each year, the Wheaton Fire Department hosts the BBQ as a way to bring the community together and also raise funds for the fire protection district. One of the most popular events for the city, a large crowd gathers each year to take part in the festivities, and this year is sure not to be any different.
The Wheaton BBQ will host a variety of fun activities for people of all ages. At 11 a.m., the Spud McCracken Memorial Horseshoe Tournament will begin. For more information about the tournament, call (417) 835-3003.
The food service will begin at 11:30 a.m. This year’s faire will be a half BBQ chicken with a baked potato, baked beans, bread and milk or coffee for $6. The kids portion will be $3. They will also offer a homemade pulled pork sandwich with baked beans for $5. On site will also be the firemen’s ice cream stand and the homemade pies by the Wheaton United Methodist Women.
For kids, there will be carnival rides at no charge from 1 p.m. to 8 p.m. Free activities are made possible through donations from area businesses and community members. The Wheaton FFA will also have a petting zoo during the event.
Other top stories
• Kids' Fishing Day slated for this Saturday
• Drug trafficking operation busted
• Two arrested for eight pot plants growing in Shell Knob
• Golden wreck seriously injures teen
• Mercy donates $14K to teen pregnancy program
• Cassville goes nuts for donuts
• Cassville MMA Fighter
arrested after road rage assault
• Seligman PD hires new officer
• Monett man arrested for knife threats
• Aurora teen injured in Rte. Z wreck
• Recorder's Office upgrades technology
• Arkansas man arrested after high speed chase
• Local Fire Depts. get $11K in grant funding
• Folk group rocks Methodist church
• Adult coloring classes gain popularity